Friday, October 13, 2017

Aging Gracefully .......... Parables 653

September 21, 1999
Hockey player Esa Tikkanen was back on the ice last week. He says he wants to finish his career by playing during three decades. Maybe he wants to prove he is still a master of the game too. After playing well for many years, he might not be happy doing anything else.

Tikkanen is only thirty-four, but even at that age, thoughts of retirement can be frightening. Imagine turning your life goals over to the youngsters. Imagine at thirty-four admitting your body isn’t up to it anymore.

I don’t play hockey but sometimes I say “I am not getting older, I’m getting better.” Who am I kidding? I am getting older. Age is a fact of life, one that sneaks up on you. Even when you expect it, the changes associated with growing older require some adjustments.

People in the Old Testament had a longer time to adjust than we do. Noah was 500 years old before his sons were born. Generations later, Sarah, the wife of Abraham lived to age 127. However, adjusting to old age was complicated for her. She had her first son at age ninety-one!

When God promised the child would be born, Sarah tried to hide her reaction but could not help laughing, “After I am worn out and my master is old, (master was a cultural title for her husband, like our Mr.) will I now have this pleasure?” It was as if she responded, “God, take a look at us. You must be joking.”

As distressing as bearing a child must have been for her, Sarah adjusted. Other Bible characters met old age gracefully too. They faced challenges and changes, such as turning over their inheritance to their children, or giving their position of leadership to younger people. Through reading their stories, we find that God gave them insights into aging that we can use.

Age with wisdom. In Psalm 90, Moses asks God to “teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.” My father says “there is no fool like an old fool.” Growing old is not so bad if one also grows wise.

Age with purpose. Another Psalm writer says, “Since my youth, O God, you have taught me, and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds. Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, O God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your might to all who are to come.” Growing old is not so bad if you are employed by God with something meaningful to do.

Age with grace. Proverbs 16:31 says, “Gray hair is a crown of splendor; if it is attained by a righteous life.” Living in a righteous way leaves a person without regrets. While that kind of life requires the grace of God, grace is freely available to everyone through Jesus Christ.

Age without fear. God promised His people, “Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you.” With God, growing old does not need to be filled with anxiety. He promises to take care of us.

Age knowing what comes next. Job experienced terrifying trials. He was not always optimistic about the outcome in this life. However, he was confident of the eventual outcome. He said, “I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God.”

Job looked beyond his calamities, and even beyond death and decay to when Jesus, the Redeemer would come. Job knew he would stand before God in a new, resurrected body. His aches, pain and sorrow would all be gone. Because of his faith, he managed his challenges.

We too can manage the challenge of aging by putting our faith in the Redeemer. When we do, He removes our fear of death and dying but also takes away our distress over the speed we whiz by those milestones.

Age with a good attitude. My son says, “Don’t worry about growing old, mom. Some people never get the chance.” God has blessed us with life. Because of him, we can be thankful — which is probably the most gracious way to welcome those advancing years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but all advertising, spam, and "please read my blog" requests will be deleted.